Horse Owners Spring Check List
READY, SET, GO!
- Vaccinations: make sure your horse is up to date. Vaccinations traditionally due in the spring: Eastern Equine Encephalitis/Western Equine Encephalitis, Tetanus and West Nile are given annually. Influenza and Equine Herpes Virus (Rhinopneumonitis), are administered every 6 months.
- Exam: Want to get out and enjoy those trails? Make sure your horse is ready! Address any health changes with your vet, before they become a problem.
- Deworming: It is recommended to deworm your horse every three to four months. Check out Dr. McKnight’s recommendations at Deworming Your Horse
- Equine Emergency Kit: Be prepared; check over your equine emergency kit! Check medications to make sure they are up to date, replace used products. Don’t have a kit? Visit our website for information how to make one! Emergency Kit
- Human Trail/Barn Kit: Yes, we need one too! Unexpected things can and do happen. Don’t have one? A small portable kit attaches easily to saddle or fits nicely in a “fanny pack”.
- Barn and Stall Safety Check: Check enclosures for nails, loose boards, and possible hazards. Check for new plant growth and trim over hanging branches, vines, and pull weeds.